Pretty much every morning I spend with a groom and groomsmen as they get ready for their wedding day one or more of the same four questions normally comes up.
Attaching a buttonhole is the most common so I’ve started there. I will add more detail and maybe a few other things but this is a start.
Also See, How To…….
How to attach a Gents Wedding Buttonhole.
I am surprised at how often a group of groomsmen stand around looking at each other trying to figure out how to attach their wedding buttonholes.
It’s not one of those everyday things so it isn’t such a big surprise that it can cause so much confusion.
It goes on your left.
There is generally a ‘buttonhole’ on the left lapel a bit of a giveaway.
But it is typically sewn up and is not now you attach your buttonhole.
Different buttonhole designs will be different but as a general rule, place the head of the central flower below the necktie head angled slightly towards your face.
As always standing in front of a mirror helps you to find a natural-looking position.
Attaching the Wedding Buttonhole.
With the flower in position, insert the pin from the underside of the lapel slightly towards the inside of your lapel.
Run the pin through the stalk of the flower then back through the lapel. The point of the pin should be pointing towards the lapel fold and out of harm’s way.
If in doubt ask.
The vendors and suppliers you have working with you at your wedding generally know their stuff and are always happy to help out.
One of the most knowledgeable people will be your wedding coordinator. He or she will be a dab hand with a pin and a buttonhole.
Call Bryan: 07955 888 761
You might have to leave a message but I will get back to you as soon as I can. If you prefer, message. Text, WhatsApp, Viber or whatever suits you.
email: [email protected]
If you give me some information about your day and what you are looking for. I will be able to come back to you with some relevant information.
See more useful wedding articles here.
Follow on Instagram @uk_wedding_photographer
Wedding Buttonhole Video.
Time needed: 1 minute.
How to Attach Wedding Button Hole
- It goes on the left.
Let’s start on the correct side.
- Place the buttonhole in the position you want it
Slightly high but not hitting his face.
- Pinch the stem with the lapel.
- Insert the pin from the back
From the back of the lapel insert the pin through the stem and back behind the lapel in a diagonal direction.
Tying a Bow Tie.
- Hang the bow tie flat around your neck, pulling side A longer than side B by approximately 1.5 inches.
- Bring A across B close to your neck to prevent the tie from becoming too loose.
- Continue to bring A up behind B, forming a simple and loose knot.
- Fold B to make a bow tie shape by pulling it to the left and then folding it back over itself to the right. The fold should be directly between the collar points.
- Drape A over the front of B.
- Fold A and pass it through the loop behind B.
- Continue pulling A through the loop, without pulling it completely through. This will form the back half of the bow.
- Tighten the knot and adjust until even by pulling on opposite sides simultaneously. Pull the front left and back right section to tighten, and the front right and back left end apart to loosen.